If you know how to text using your cell phone then you’re ready to activate SMS Guardian, a free service that monitors and sends you text alerts directly to your phone or other SMS-enabled device. When your debit card has been used for certain transactions this added layer of security alerts you to possible fraudulent use of your card.
Enrolled customers will receive a text when their debit card has been used in one of the following ways:
• For International Transactions or transactions greater than $500
• When your debit card is not present in the transaction (ex: online shopping)
• Eight or more transactions in a 24-hour period
• When your card is used in another state
• When your card is declined
If you receive a text about a transaction that you think could be fraudulent you can follow the instructions in the text to stop the current transaction and block your card from further activity.
This is a free service through BNC, although your carrier’s message and data rates will still apply. To sign up click on the Guardian Logo found next to your account page listing in your online banking or find the link on the Card Services page under the Personal Services tab on the BNC Website.